Wednesday, June 4, 2008

ABC Wednesdays - T for tree kangaroo

Unlike a couple of photos I posted recently I did not photograph this in the wild; I took these photos in the Adelaide Zoo. The tree kangaroo is found naturally in Northern Queensland and New Guinea. Its diet consists mainly of leaves and fruit.

The tree kangaroo has a much longer tail that other species; adapted for balance.

To find out more about ABC Wednesdays and see links to other participants' sites go to mrs nesbitts place

8 comments:

Ann said...

That top one is a beautiful photo. Very cute.

Anonymous said...

I guess I did not know a tree kangaroo existed.

Donna said...

Never knew about this animal!!! How cute!!hughugs

Rune Eide said...

Interesting and well illustrated post about an animal I didn't know even existed! Does it jump like th "ordinary" kangaroo?

Knoxville Girl said...

What a beautiful color - and that tail is quite impressive!

Pernille said...

This is just beautiful and cute! Fantastic choice for T! Wonderful shots too:)

Gordon said...

runee - the tree kangaroo does hop like other kangaroos, and apparently is only kangaroo that can walk backwards. It is however most agile in trees.

alicesg said...

Very interesting. First time I see a tree kangaroo.