Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Australia Day at Aldinga Beach

Today we joined hundreds of others to celebrate Australia Day with family and friends on Aldinga Beach, 45 km south of the City; one of the few beaches where you can drive your car on the beach.

Australia Day is a public holiday throughout the nation; a day on which we celebrate what's great about Australia and being Australian. On this day in 1788 the first settlers from Great Britain arrived at Sydney Cove.

In Adelaide on Australia Day, like elsewhere in the country, there a lots of community events. On returning home from the beach, I travelled into the city to watch an Australia Day parade followed by a free concert and fireworks display. I will be posting photos of these events later this week.

4 comments:

chalupczok said...

I do not like cars on the beach. This savagery:)

Donna said...

My Goodness!! That's a Ton of humanity out there! Hope you found some shade!!
Great photo!!
hughugs

Lowell said...

Looks like a fun time. We can't drive on most Florida beaches, either...

Happy Australia Day!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

You are all loyal Australians down in Adelaide.

Not up at the Goldcoast.I was in a boat when there was a flotilla of boats of all sizes and shapes, Protesting, "Gave back our Tippler"

I teased my brother, in Singapore, they would be all thrown in jail for Not Respect for the day.